By John Voket, Newtown Bee (CT)
Poking around the brownfield clean-up site a stone’s throw from Sandy Hook Village Center and the banks of the Pootatuck reveals a deteriorating complex of buildings that once contributed to Newtown’s manufacturing heritage.
Economic and Community Development Deputy Director Christal Preszler and colleague Christine O’Neil unlocked the heavy gate to the grounds of 28A Glen Road for a brief tour with The Newtown Bee, August 30, as the town announced a new grant being applied to tackle the containment and remediation of some of the most imminently hazardous materials that had been abandoned on the site for decades.
With a little imagination, it is easy to envision the cluster of buildings, once the site of R.S. Watkins & Sons, as a thriving beehive of activity that employed hundreds of local residents over the years, including a young William Halstead, who went on to serve as a long-time fire marshal and still serves as Chief of Sandy Hook Fire & Rescue.
When it was fully utilized, the property included one private residence, three industrial buildings, and two storage sheds. The residential structure dates from 1847, while the other buildings sprang up between 1943 and 1947.
For the entire article, see
Posted September 8, 2020